We Should Have Homework - by Elissa

What is the eight letter word that strikes fear into the hearts of students all around the world? No, it’s not broccoli, but good guess. It’s H-O-M-E-W-O-R-K. I think we should have homework because it helps parents keep up with what we do in school, because it gives us something to do, and because it helps teachers know what to teach us.



One reason we should have homework is because it helps parents keep up with what we do in school. Parents always ask “How was school today? What did you do?”. If you don’t feel like giving a lengthy explanation, simply take out your homework and give it to them. Problem solved ๐Ÿ˜. Parents like to know what you do in school.

Who hates to do homework? 52% of the people I asked said yes. Well, then your parents can help remind you. And 63% of the people said they think homework doesn’t help them learn. Well, homework is for reviewing, and then your teacher can review things with you and that will help you learn.

Another reason we should have homework is that it gives us something to do. Who thinks homework is a waste of time and a attempt from teachers to consume all of our free time? Well, who likes video games and electronic games? But how many of us spend hours and hours on electronics? And we’ve all heard our parents say, “Electronics makes you nearsighted and video games rot your brain. Don’t play video games and it’ll save you from certain doom.”, and have you ever responded: “But I have nothing to do! Moooom (and/or Daaaad)!!” But you have homework, don’t forget!

My final reason you should have homework is that it helps teachers know what to teach us. Teachers want to know how we are doing in school. Just like our parents, like I mentioned in Paragraph 2. Have you ever been stuck in a lesson and the teachers is saying something that you already know, and by the looks of it, the rest of the class as well? Well, if you did your homework and the teacher was looking at it, they would think: oh, well they already know that…We can learn something else!  I spoke to a teacher, and she said: “I sometimes make my own homework, and I mix in some review questions. Then, I make lists of who needs to review what.”

Homework can help us in many ways, and there are even more than I mentioned, like it helps our brain grow. I hope I made you think about homework, and it has helped you choose your side in this topic, which has and is being argued all around the world.

Sincerely,

Elissa Fan

Comments