Schools Should Ban Homework - by Lincoln

Have you ever gotten home from school and had so much homework to do? Well I have and I think that we should not have homework because it doesn’t help kids get better at spelling or math or whatever their working on, it consumes free time so that kids can spend time with friends or playing and last, it stresses kids out.

My first reason is that it doesn’t help kids get better at whatever they are working on, like spelling or math. One article said “homework offers no academic advantage. Insted it overwhelms struggling children and is boring for high achievers.” that proves that homework is bad and if we didn’t have homework schools would be better for the kids. Once I had a sheet of multiplication facts up to the 12 times tables in 4th grade and I had already learned them in the beginning of 3th grade. It was really boring.

My second reason is that it consumes free time. Another article said “children need time to spend with their family and play. When kids are playing “house” or fighting imaginary dragons they are developing crucial life skills. If we had no homework kids could play and get those skills that they need.

Above all it stresses kids out. An article said “a 2002 study showed a direct relationship between time spent on homework and increased depression and anger.” this proves that if we didn’t have homework kids would not be as stressed out. Once I had a math sheet, a spelling story, a readers response, type to learn, and 30 minutes of reading. That night I got to bed pretty late and I was really stressed and rushed to get it done.


Those are my reasons for why we should ban homework in schools. Kids would be less stressed out and go to bed earlier and if we had no homework schools would be a lot better.

Comments